Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Upper/Mid Back Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rhomboid muscle strain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rhomboid muscle strain
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 5:11pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  07:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "Dear Cyber P.T. : I have a left r.m.s. I found the info on your site to be quite helpful. There is not much info on the net regarding this problem.Would you plaese tell me where on the web,or in print, that I could find more info on this condition? Also,does cyber P.T. have more info that was not included on the site? Thank You Very Much"

Ask a PT Response: "I just performed a search on rhomboid strain on Google and came up with a lot of results which contained generalized information for this condition. A lot of these pages contains similiar information that our article contained. Is there anything specific in regards to what you would you like to learn about a rhomboid strain? Physical therapy often does help individuals with this condition. It may be beneficial for you to consult with a PT so he or she can examine you individually and determine if there are other factors which can help maximize recovery and minimize reinjury. A PT will develop a plan of care for you and utilize the appropriate treatment options once he or she has examined you. Please feel free to email me back should you have additional questions. Thanks again for using CyberPT."

Our user asked: "Thanks for your reply.
I was in P.t. for my knee,and when the time came for the therapist to do an examination for my rhomboid strain,she concluded that there was nothing wrong and that the problem was all in my head.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

The most important thing I would like to know is how long(usually) does it take a person to recover from this injury,given that they are performing the recommended home exercises,and are laying off any weight lifting.

Also,I would like to know what someone should do if their rhomboid muscle strain.is simply not responding to the standard treatment regimen.Could the diagnosis be a pinched nerve or arthritis instead?"

Ask a PT Response: "Usually with a rhomboid strain, one will experience pain in the region of the rhomboids with retraction (movements that bring your shoulder blade back) or with activities which require you to raise your arm straight up or down as the rhomboids assist with these movements. You will most likely have tissue irritability or tenderness in the region and you may have weakness when the strength of this muscle is tested as well.

As far as giving you a timeline of when you will recover, I really can't tell you as everyone heals differently. For someone that I see that has this condition it can take on average anywhere from 3-4 wks. If you have pain in that region than you may consider seeing another therapist to see if he/she will give you a different opinion.

If you are not responding, then there could definitely be other things involved as well such as damage to the scapular nerve (C5), irritation to another muscle close to the rhomboid, or perhaps some other pathology. I really don't think it could be arthritis, unless you have arthritis of the thoracic spine which could be confirmed with an x-ray. If you have had this for quite awhile now, I would recommend you seek further medical attention and consult with your physician or another physical therapist."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic