Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Arm, Elbow, Wrist & Hand Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hand Pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hand Pain
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 4:55pm

cbr

1 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  14:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fell in the pool last night and landed on the top of my hand. It was really painful and I have alot of swelling on it now. I have a lot of trouble moving my last two fingers and it looks like my 4th finger is a little lower than the rest of the fingers. Does this sound like a sprain? I don't like to see doctors unless I have to.

SCPT

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  16:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what you are describing, you may have fractured your 4th or 5th metacarpal bones in your hand. This injury is common when a hand is clasped and makes contact with something, aka- boxer's fracture. I would definitely see your doctor and get it checked out. If it is broken you will require a splint so that your bone can heal properly and prevent your tendons from getting into a compromised position as this could lead to the inability to straighten your finger all the way.
Go to Top of Page

PT Guy

22 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  18:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with SCPT. You should get your hand checked out. An X-ray or ultrasound will reveal whether or not you have a fracture of your hand. If it is a fracture, physical therapy is usually not the course after it heals. You may be referred to an OT if required.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic