Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Shoulder Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sternoclavicular separation therapy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sternoclavicular separation therapy
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 4:51pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  17:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "Hello, I suffered a sternoclavicular joint separation recently, and I was wondering what I should do to get my shoulder back to full-strength. I am now out of the sling, but my shoulder still feels very weak. Thank you for your help."

Ask a PT Response: "A SC separation is not a very common injury. For patients who have sustained this type of an injury, physical therapists often have them initially perform exercises which are below shoulder level. This is because the SC joint is involved with assisting in shoulder flexion and abduction. The goal is to avoid further stress and irritation at the SC joint. Exercises which require reaching across the body or weight lifting are generally avoided towards the beginning of rehab. Strengthening of the rotator cuff and scapular muscles are the usual courses of action. Facilitated or assisted shoulder ROM exercises could be prescribed as well. Examples of strengthening exercises for these patients could include: shoulder isometric strengthening, resistive shoulder IR/ER strengthening with thera- tubing (arm at side- elbow at 90deg), resisted shoulder flexion and abduction strengthening with thera-tubing to 90deg and resisted scapular retraction. Range of motion exercises could include wand exercises and finger walk up wall. Given your injury, it may be a good ideal to set up an appointment with a PT so that you could get a home exercise program prescribed to you that would be tailored to your specific needs. Good luck with your rehab and thanks for using CyberPT."

JPT

2 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  17:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PT could try Kinesio Taping as well to help stabilize SC. May allow for more tolerance to exercise with less pain.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic