Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Shoulder Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Niel Asher technique

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Niel Asher technique
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 4:49pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  15:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "Hello: I am being treated for frozen shoulder and want to know what another pt thinks about this technique vs traditional pt treatment? I am almost pain free, and receive two pt treatments a week--one with PT for Niel Asher technique and one with pt in same facility with traditional pt. They both think I should choose one over the other to see if get any bette results. Appreciate any help, thanks"

Ask a PT Response: "Sorry for the delayed response, but I have never heard of the Niel Asher Technique (NAT) and wanted to consult with my colleagues to see if any of them were familiar with this treatment technique. Unfortunately, none of them were familiar with the technique as well. We visited the website and found the information on the technique interesting. Unfortunately, after a search for peer review literature on the Niel Asher Technique, we were unable to find any evidence based information. The information they have provided on the site is not peer reviewed which the American Physical Therapy Association recommends and is required for evidence based practice. The pilot study they mentioned on the site was published in 2003. We were hoping they would have conducted a full scientific study by now which would have described the results.

As far as which treatment approach is more effective, it would be difficult to determine without solid scientific studies conducted. I am sure your therapist that utilizes the Niel Asher Technique also incorporates some ROM, stretcing, strengthening, etc. with your treatment session. If not, and he or she is only utilizing the NAT, than we are thinking you may not achieve the most optimal outcome. Also are you taking into consideration that you are performing your own home exercise progam as well which may also contribute to your success. Nevertheless, the main goal for any therapist is to help their patient achieve optimal outcomes. I guess if I were to be in your shoes, I would try to continue to keep doing both as that has been working for you. I am open minded to new treatment approaches if they get results for my patient and are used in addition to other treatment approaches. Perhaps, you could also have your therapist who uses the standard treatment approach progress you further with your home exercise program so you can work more on your own at home and help minimize the time required for your recovery process. I hope this helps and good luck with your road to full recovery. Thanks for using CyberPT."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic