Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Shoulder Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shoulder pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoulder pain
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 4:42pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  22:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "My 9 year old is complaining of Shoulder pain. She swims 3 days per week and has been complaining less than 2 weeks. She points to the trapezius and it is tender with touch. She has full active range of motion in shoulder flexion/ext, ab and adduction and shoulder elevation, but says it hurts with all of those movements. seems to hurt more with flexion and adduction. Should I have her seen by a doctor/PT even though pain has not limited function or ROM? I want to avoid future injury but do not want to be one of those over reactive moms. I myself delt with shoulder injuries due to swimming and wish someone had directed me to a PT- I saw orthopedic DR who said I should stop swimming in High school. I did not listen and did get some advice on some exercises that helped me get through college swimming. I do want better for my kid."

Ask a PT Response: "If your child has developed an onset of pain as a result from swimming, it would be highly recommended that she discontinue swimming and rest her shoulder/neck. An individual can still experience pain despite having normal range of motion at the shoulder. Irritation or inflammation of the upper trapezius muscle can be increased with shoulder range of motion as the upper trapezius muscle can be activated with these type of movements. It may be a good idea for you to seek medical attention now especially since your child has been having the pain for almost two weeks now. When your child improves the next question to ask is what was the cause of this onset of pain so as to avoid injury again? Was she trying a new stroke and had poor mechanics, are there strength issues, instability issues, flexibility/joint mobility issues or was she doing too much too soon? A PT would be a good source to go to to help you find these answers. I think you are being a good parent who is concerned about her child. Playing it safe now is better than paying for it later. I wish you the best of health for your daugther."

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic