Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Shoulder Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torn Rotator Cuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torn Rotator Cuff
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 4:33pm

Ask a PT

156 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  10:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our user asked: "I tore my right rotator cuff in a skiing fall on May 12th. How long should I wear a sling? When is it BEST to start exercises? I know it needs rest to heal but also am concerned about "use it or lose it". Can't get in to Orthopedic until June 6 and a PT after that so wanting to know what is best to do in the mean time for the best possible recovery. Thank you."

Ask a PT Response: "I am assuming you are consulting the Orthopaedic MD to see what approach to take in regards to your torn rotator cuff. Depending on your lifestyle and occupation, rotator cuff repair surgery is not a necessary procedure for all individuals with a rotator cuff tear. Individuals who don't have a lifestyle which requires higher level use of the shoulder can opt to avoid surgery if participation in physical therapy helps that individual achieve an optimal level of function and decreases pain. If pain and lack of function of the involved shoulder persists than surgery will most likely be beneficial. After a rotator cuff tear it is not only important to maintain range of motion and strength but to decrease inflammation as well. Examples of initial exercises commonly prescribed to patients with a rotator cuff tear includes and is not limited to: pendulum exercises, wand exercises, GH isometric strengtheing and ice packs. These exercises can be found on the CyberPT Exercise Videos Page. Pain is usally the guide when performing exercises. If it hurts back off on the exercise. If it still hurts when performing the exercise than stop performing the exercise. Please feel free to contact us should you have any additional questions. Thanks for using CyberPT."

MadCityPT

4 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  14:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is very important to be sure to maintain mobility in your shoulder. A sling and immobilization is important for healing after a surgery, but it can cause a frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis if immobilized improperly or for too long. Be sure to discuss options with your Orthopedic Surgery and consult your Physical Therapist. When doing exercises, be sure to use proper form and avoid pain in your shoulder. Posture and proper exercise form is very important to retrain the musculature around the shoulder girdle after an injury.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic