Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Low Back Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fall - back pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fall - back pain
    Posted: Aug 22 2015 at 11:26am
Our user asked: " I fell Wed. backward off a chair. was not drinking:) Landed very hard on my behind and it hurt instantly. I don't think I hit anything else. The backs of my thighs are bruised so I guess we'll throw those in. Went to nurse practitioner next day and she took xray of tailbone. Read it and said no fractures. Radiologist will read within the week as a precaution, I imagine. It is Sunday. The pain is getting better. I have little tingles of areas in my back letting me know that there has been trauma. Problem. I suffer anxiety and panic attacks. Have had huge ones. Can't relax and come to grips that I think I'm okay. Keep reliving accident and worried I am going to have a big spine problem. Am I nuts?"

Ask a PT Response: "You aren't nuts :) . Since you are getting better I would not be too concerned. The bruising is most likely the result of trauma to the region. I can relate to you and experienced a similar situation as yours as a result of sliding into home plate and landing on my tailbone. It took awhile but I was fine. Pain in the back, pain shooting into the legs, numbness/tingling of the leg(s), loss of control of bowel/bladder etc... are symptoms that would suggest a more severe injury. If your condition is not improving, I'd recommend you see your MD when possible. Best of luck to you."

Our user responded: "I was still having soreness 3 weeks after fall and I have ankylosing spondylitis so my rheumatologist ran a lumbar spine xray.  Below is the reading.  Sounds scary to me.
Lumbar spine radiographs
History: Previous fall with low back pain
Findings:
There is minimal anterolisthesis of L4 on L5 which appears to be on a degenerative basis. The remainder of the lumbar spine is normally aligned. The vertebral body heights are well-maintained. There is no significant disc space narrowing. Degenerative facet changes are present of the lower lumbar spine. The sacrum and sacroiliac joints are grossly intact. Calcific atherosclerotic changes are noted of the aorta.
Impression:
Degenerative changes as described.
How does this sound to you?"

Ask a PT Response: "I've had patients with a lot worse findings who have ankylosing spondylitis. The listhesis of the vertebrae are minimal and you have some degenerative changes. have you been in PT before in the past? Based on what you are telling me, it may be beneficial."

Our user responded: "Thanks for your opinion on this.  I have had PT in the past for a few problems I had with a sacroiliac torque, I think they called it and one time I had a hyperextended elbow and sprained neck.  PT worked for me.  I will have to find out how much I would have to pay for more PT due to some financial issues.  Again, your time is much appreciated."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic