Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Hip, Buttock & Groin Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

limping - gluteus medius release

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: limping - gluteus medius release
    Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 9:01am

Our user asked: "Hi, 10 years ago I realized that my legs were twisted out and had a contracted muscle mass in the lateral and posterior part of the pelvis ( gluteus medius I believe) and little development of the gluteus maximus , all bilateral , my pelvis looked different of others, widened, and the greater trochanter of the femurs not sticking out , instead what protruded on both sides was the top of the ilium or iliac crest , but was not evident, just on palpation was obvious . I intuitively began exercising after warm up a bit, what I did was compress with my hand in the form of pin the contracted muscle while doing leg lateral abduction , when I felt that muscle ceded i increased compression and I did several repetitions for a time and the day that completely ceded my leg changed its alignment . Walking and moving straight, iliac crest was attenuated while the trochanter is pronounced , taking a normal shape . These exercises were very intense and I was exhausted , also felt a little afraid because I did not know if what I had done was right or not so I decided not to continue with the other leg . This created a disparity in my legs and so I have a slight limp . Searching the internet I read something about the tension of the gluteus medius and what this can cause as well as different techniques to release this tension, I am not sure but maybe the exercise i did released the tension of the gluteus medius and aligned my right leg properly, I wish someone can tell me if what i did was exactly the release of the gluteus medius or not, what should i do with my other leg to align it and correct the limp, maybe some exercises less traumatic than what i did, therapy or device that can help, thank you"

Ask a PT Response: "It sounds like you have some medical background. The primary function of gluteus medius is hip abduction while gluteus maximus is hip extension. In therapy when we usually utilize deep compression as an inhibition technique or light compression as a facilitation technique. I would also utilize compression with exercise as a muscle pump for some of my patients. It may be very well possible you affected the gluteus medius somehow and altered the length tension relationship or you could have just fatigued the muscle which require a period of time for recovery. The best thing to do would probably be to see a PT so that he or she can determine what is actually going on especailly now that your are limping. Sorry I could not be of more help, but without physically examining you I would not be able to give you the most accurate response."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic