Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Head & Neck Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cervical Disc Bulge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cervical Disc Bulge
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 4:17pm

froggy

1 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  12:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the past month I have been having a lot of pain in my neck and shooting pain down my arm as well. My hand has been getting numb on and off as well. I finally saw my doctor and he ordered a MRI. The MRI showed that I had disc bulges at C5-7. The doctor is sending me to physical therapy. What should I expect from therapy. Will it help?

UWPT

9 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  10:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When a disc bulges or herniates it can encroach upon a nerve which could result in pain in that region, shooting pain down the arm, numbness/tingling, weakness or a loss of sensation. In physical therapy you can expect your PT to help you regain your cervical range of motion, improve fucntion, manage your pain & sx and decrease your cervical tissue irritability. You can expect him/her to perform/have you perform range of motion/stretching exercises, postural training, strengthening exercises, cervical traction, soft tissue mobilization/massage, functional training and modalities. As far as therapy helping, it depends. Each individual is different and responds differently to treatment. In many of the cases I see physical therapy has helped.

cls54721

2 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  14:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had pt for about a month for what an MRI shows is bulging discs in the C4 and C5 area. I also have pain down my arm from a pinched nerve in this area. So far, the therapists have not done any traction on my neck. They gave me ROM, stretching exercises. And now some resistance exercises with bands. Unfortunately, I have had prior problems with shoulder and elbow tendonitis. It seems that the resistance work is aggrevating my elbows and even my biceps area is getting sore. Any comments from any therapists here? My therapists have stopped the arm bike, which I believe started this soreness. But shouldn't I be having traction to open up the area of the bulging discs and pinched nerve? Any answers?

I am scheduled for an epidural injection next week, which I am not looking forward to at all.

Thanks Connie

Aurora

11 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  22:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie- Therapists were right to discontinue exercises which made your condition worse. From what you describe, appears treatment is appropriate. Traction can be used as a part of treatment for a bulging disc. You may want to have further dsicussion with your therapist or physician when you seen him for the epidural and inquire about traction and see if this is appropriate for you.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic