Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

is pt supposed to cause more pain?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is pt supposed to cause more pain?
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 3:34pm

cls54721

2 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  20:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I was prescribed pt for cervical stenosis that caused pain and tingling down my arm. I was given ROM exercises and stretches for the neck, also the therapist did manual work on my neck. After a few weeks, I was given strengthening exercises with resistance bands, seated row work, and lifting weights, starting with 1 lb. free weights. In about 2 weeks, I developed severe pain and soreness, in the biceps area. I told the therapist about the pain, and she seemed to think I was kidding. She said I shouldn't be a baby about it. But, she did say I now had bicipital tendonitis. Are your supposed to feel worse as a result of pt? I had some prior tendon issues in my elbows and shoulders that never seemed to resolve after 3 other rounds of pt. My ortho doc said I don't seem to tolerate pt very well. Is this normal? Was the therapist being unprofessional? Any advice? Thanks. Connie

Aurora

11 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  23:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Participating in physical therapy affects everyone differently depending on the person and the issue(s) at hand. If you were experiencing more pain and your condition became worse after participating in an activity a therapist would usually have the patient lighten up on the exercise or stop performing it. If you developed biceps tendonitis you definitely don't want to continue to aggravate the condition. Personally, I find it unprofessional for a trained medical professional to make a comment that you stated he or she made. There are better ways to communicate with a patient. Anyways, seems like the therapist was performing an appropriate plan of care. You may want to consider working with someone else if you feel like your you are not obtaining results and don't feel comfortable with your therspist. Also consider seeking further medical intervention(s) as well to address your stenosis.

PT Guy

22 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  13:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In most cases I do not believe in the phrase "no pain no gain". If a therapist knowingly has a patient do something that will increase pain then 1) the affected tissue will become more inflammed and could set the patient back 2) there will be less motivation for the patient to participate in PT or with home exercises . Treatment should generally be tolerable for the patient for optimal success.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic