Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Physical Therapy Professional Forum > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changes to documentation by PTA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changes to documentation by PTA
    Posted: Feb 22 2013 at 9:14am
I have searched the internet and the IL practice act but cannot find an answer to this...

If during the course of treatment, a PTA identifies additional areas of concern/deficit, can the PTA add a diagnosis code to the treatment note?

If not, must the patient be seen and the subsequent documentation be performed by a PT in order to add said diagnoses to the POC?

This is irregardless of insurer.
DCole
Sponsored Links

Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2013 at 1:11pm

From my understanding, the physical therapist is the only professional that is able to make the determination of the diagnosis. The PT performs the evaluation, reassessment and interpretation. The PTA follows the plan of care of the PT. At our facility, the PT must perform the 2 week reassessment and monthly notes. The PTA is to communicate with the PT if the plan of care needs to be changed or modified. The PT will document any changes in the patient's chart as necessary.

I am not familiar with the rules and regulations in IL but here is the link to WI regulations: http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/pt/5.pdf

Edited by Ask a PT - Feb 25 2013 at 1:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic