Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Arm, Elbow, Wrist & Hand Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arm strain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arm strain
    Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 8:02pm
The flexor carpi ulnaris area of my left arm has been feeling like something is caught as I lay my arm out, trying to straighen it. Its been tense, at least I think, it feels like it when I touch it anyway. I sleep mostly on my left side, with my arm under my head and pillow. Its closer to my elbow too but mostly in the flexor carpi ulnaris area. Is this a strain? Is it a strain from laying on my left side too long? The catch comes and goes. Just like an idea of what could be going on with it. I have no other issues or past issues with this arm. Just a minor wrist sprain years ago. Thanks!
I don't really know what muscles are in the arm but the place Im talking about is my forearm near my elbow.
Sponsored Links

Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:43pm
Sounds like it could be an impingement given you sleep on your left side and you describe a catching which comes and goes. The flexor carpi ulnaris has its proximal insertion/origin at the medial epicondyle of the humerus. You could be doing something there when you are sleeping at your left side which may stress your FCU or that region. I know it is easier said than done, but have you tried to modify your sleeping position? If so, has that helped? Joint mobilizations are something that a PT may perform on you which may help your condition ie: http://orthorehab.blogspot.com/2007/09/ulnohumeral-joint-glide-mobilization.html . I hope this helps.
Butterfly2011 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:51pm
Hi. I got your reply. I think it helps some, it gave me an idea of what could be going on. When you said it could probably be an impingement, did you mean an impingement of a nerve or what? Thanks
Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:55pm
Could be impingement of the joint capsule itself or perhaps even the FCU tendon. I don't suspect impingement of a nerve given the description of your symptoms/condition.
Butterfly2011 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:05pm
C:\Users\Regina\Pictures\New folder (2)\MyElbow3.jpg]

C:\Users\Regina\Pictures\New folder (2)\MyElbow4.jpg

Here are links to 2 photos of my arm/elbow. It'll give you a better idea of what I was talking about in my original posts.
Please know, that I know for a better answer I will have to see a doctor. Im just wanting an idea of possiblities that I could be dealing with, ahead of time.
IF you can open the links, please look at what I have pointed out. That is where my arm aches. It feels like either its caught or a cramp like feeling. It only aches when I move it. Im not sure if what I pointed out is the FCU or not.
Thanks for your help. If the links don't work, let me know. thanks
Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 10:10am
Sorry I can not view the images. Try posting the images onto an image sharing site and then including the link.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic