Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Physical Therapy Professional Forum > Professional Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tinetti discussion/clarification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3horseranch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tinetti discussion/clarification
    Posted: Oct 11 2012 at 8:00pm
Hi All! New to the forum, new to the therapy world...I am both a COTA and PTA and hired into a fulltime PTA position less than a year ago.

My question regarding the Tinetti balance test (besides all the subjectivity between who delivers it)is this: If I have a pt who is CGA for ambulation and t/f's and I perform a Tinetti with them do I factor in their CGA status? Do I let that skew how I score the test? When they stand up and immediate standing balance for 5 seconds is steady I give them a "2" my therapist says that's not correct because he's CGA? For that 5 seconds he was steady, he was steady when he put his feet together (narrow stance) but walking he's a bit unsteady w/ a scissoring gait as he fatigues...the minutia is killing me so discussion is appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links

msey1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2012 at 5:54pm
I disagree with your therapist. FYI I am a Physical Therapist of 22 years and am familiar with the Tinetti balance test but I haven't any special training in it's use. However, in principle it makes no sense to me to change the score of one test (in this case Tenneti's standing balance) because of the result of some other test or assessment (functional mobility level). Even though these two examples are somewhat related in what they are testing/assessing, they are still two separate evaluation tools with there own criteria for grading. The only exception of course would be if the Tinetti guidelines actually indicate that one should adjust the score based on functional mobility. If your therapist is concerned that the Tinetti score paints a false picture of the patient's mobility and/or safety status, you could reassure them that the assessment or note you are writing will contain more than just the Tinetti score and should give the reader a true picture of what's going on with that patient. Just my opinion. The more opinions, the better! But here's one more bit of food for thought: More important than one test score for one patient is your relationship with your coworkers - especially the PT you work with. Don't let this issue taint this relationship - it's not worth it.
msey1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic