Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Specialty Forum for PTs/Healthcare Professionals > Women's Health
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kegel Exercises

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kegel Exercises
    Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 2:59pm

V.Z.

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  22:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just wondering if anyone can give me a good resource in regards to training and Kegel Exercises?

Erica

2 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  08:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello V.Z.,

I am a physician assistant in urology and I subspecialize in female urology, esp incontience, urgency, freqency, voiding dysfunction and pelvic pain. We have a program at our hospital to teach patients how to properly do kegels (which I am actively involved in).

Just wondering when you say resource if you mean a book/written reference or a PT? Also are you interested in learning how to do kegels yourself or to teach patients? Please let me know and I can better answer your question.

Thank you,
Erica

V.Z.

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  22:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Erica,
For resources I meant book, written reference and courses. I am interested in this topic because I know there aren't too many therapists out there that specialize in this section. I would like to eventually start a program at our facility to help patients that have the urology dysfunctions. Your input and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Val

Erica

2 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  13:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Val,

My suggestions would be for books--
The Female Pelvis by Calais-Germain
Pelvic Power by Eric Franklin

As for courses Dr. Jeanette Tries and company give a great seminar in summertime at Marquette University in Milwaukee. She works for the Center for Continence and Pelvic Floor Disorders. It's very basic, but is a good start. If you are going to do advanced techniques, you'll need to look into those courses that teach pelvic floor (manual) release. I don't know too much about these courses, but if you treat pelvic pain this will be essential.

If you are interested in treating these patients, you NEED to attend a course. Vendors from the biofeedback/e stim machines will not be enough to teach you properly. Also, following a urogynecologist or a urologist who subspecializes in voiding dysfunction may prove extremely valuable.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need/want any more info.

Erica

V.Z.

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  17:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erica,
Thanks for the info. It was very helpful.
Val
Go to Top of Page

pam l

10 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  17:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet Hulme also instructs good courses for Continence and Pelvic pain. "Pelvic Rotator cuff" and "Beyond Kegels" are a few courses.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic