Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Specialty Forum for PTs/Healthcare Professionals > Women's Health
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pregnancy & sciatica

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mydreambaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mydreambaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pregnancy & sciatica
    Posted: Feb 23 2013 at 6:57am
Hi,
Fruits  are rich sources of vitamin C and carotenoids (pro vitamin A) and micronutrients such as, some minerals  and vitamins like folic acid. Fresh fruits are rich sources of vitamin C which will help to promote strength in my baby.
I will take regular food containing vitamin C, which will help absorption of dietary iron.
For more information about fruit during pregnancy visit :- mydreambaby.in
-
Sponsored Links

Previous CPT Forum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Previous CPT Forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 2:56pm

V.Z.

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  15:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been seeing a patient for about 3 weeks now who is now about 6 months pregnant. She developed low back pain and sciatica down her R LE about 4 months into her pregnancy. This pain has been gradually getting worse. I have tried everything with her from aquatics, soft tissue mobilization, core stabilization/strengthening, stretching, postural training, and hot packs but have not been succesful. I am a little lost as far as what else I can do to help her manage her sx. Any advise would be deeply appreciated.

PT Guy

22 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  22:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you have done all that you could. My only other suggestion would be a maternity support belt. Maybe this can help take some pressure off her back. Perhaps a TENS unit could help as well. However, I would double check with her doctor and the TENS unit company to make sure this will be safe for the baby. I don't recall if pregnancy was a contraindication for the use of TENS. If you find out, please let me know.

V.Z.

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  17:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pt Guy,
I did end up using TENS for my patient on her back and it has helped her control her pain. She was also able to tolerate therapy better. I talked to MD and did some of my own research and found out that TENS can be used on the back but not around the fetus. The absolute contraindication is for people with cardiac pacemakers. "TENS is not recommended for patients with known heart disease without a physician's evaluation of risk. Also do not stimulate over the eyes or carotid sinus nerves. Do not apply TENS for 1. undiagnosed pain syndromes until etiology is established, 2. electrode placement that causes current to flow transcerebrally (through the head)." (http://www.vitalityweb.com/backstore/tenssafety.htm) & (http://www.electrotherapy.org/contraindications.htm)
Val

Edited by Previous CPT Forum - Jul 08 2008 at 2:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic