Advertisement  
   Forum Home CyberPT Home Page      
Forum Home Forum Home > Patient Forum > Arm, Elbow, Wrist & Hand Injuries/Conditions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tight Finger Extensor Muscles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
justinjude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinjude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tight Finger Extensor Muscles
    Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 12:35am
You need to visit a PT and carefully examine the areas which have the pain. Even the slightest of pain could be the start of diseases like arthritis. You should see a PT immediately.
Sponsored Links

Ask a PT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ask a PT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2012 at 6:23am
Our user asked: "Hello, and thank you so much for taking the time to read this. For most of my adult life, I have had very tight, knotted forearms in the areas where (I'm pretty sure!) my finger extensors are. Pushing down on the various "trigger points" I notice that I have a good deal of pain, and I think much of the wrist pain I've experienced is also a result of this. My question, basically, is should I do finger extension exercises (e.g. with rubber bands) AND massage -- or just massage, or what? I find it paradoxical that my muscles are damaged from both overuse and being weak. If they're weak, I should exercise them, but maybe they'll just end up tighter and more inflamed? Thanks again! I really appreciate any help you can offer."

Ask a PT Response: "For my patients that may have a condition such as yours, I'd probably work on manual therapy (massage) along with alot of stretching. I'd also determine which muscles are weak and strengthen those muscles. I probably would not work on strengthening the extensors if they don't test with strength deficits. If strengthening is required, a gradual progression will be from light weights to heavier weights. Bracing may help as well if there are severe ROM issues."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic